Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born.

-Dale Turner-

Friday, June 03, 2011

C + H + O2 = Living organisms

The complexity of biological systems will always amaze me. Since I have been influenced to develop a chemist's mind, my curiosity and fascination has begun to confuse me. The human body really is one of those incidences where “the more you know you don't know”. I guess what I am trying to express is that some crazy shit goes on down there. I think by far the most fascinating things to exist within us are proteins. Their synthesis process is automatic within our bodies, large sequences of amino acid chains form within us spontaneously and without any mutations; the majority of times. Yet it's crazy really, how can life really be so complex? All living things are essentially just made up of a whole collection of molecules of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen with some essential minerals thrown in there. From these elements, chemical reactions can occur to make acids and sugars and proteins which essentially build living organisms. But systems are really more complex than that. They depend on so many variables and such intricate, yet instantaneous organisation that it will forever continue to blow my mind...

0 comments:

Post a Comment